It can be tough balancing work and family, especially when you have a limited amount of time to do both. But that doesn’t mean you have to give up on your self care completely. In fact, there are plenty of ways to achieve it even with a tight schedule.
In this post, we will outline five essential self care tips that all parents should know. From getting enough sleep to establishing healthy boundaries, these tips will help you take care of yourself while still fulfilling your responsibilities.
Why Self Care is Important?
People who prioritize their own well-being report greater satisfaction with life, fewer physical and mental health problems, and more rewarding relationships.
Self care is important for everyone. Whether you have plenty of time or not, taking care of yourself is key to feeling happy and fulfilled. Here are a few reasons why self care is so important:
1. You’ll Be Happier
The first reason to take care of yourself is that you’ll be happier. Self-care leads to improved mental health, which in turn leads to increased happiness. People who prioritize their own well-being report greater satisfaction with life on all levels: emotional, psychological, social, and physical. They also experience less stress and anxiety, lower levels of depression and stress hormones, and better sleep quality.
In addition to being happier overall, taking care of yourself looks good on paper too! Employers value employees who take care of themselves both mentally and physically because they are productive and efficient workers. Taking care of yourself shows that you value your own time and don’t need anyone else’s permission to be happy.
2. You’ll Have Less Health Problems
Secondarily, taking care of yourself will reduce the likelihood of developing physical health problems. People who prioritize their well-being have a reduced risk for chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, osteoporosis, obesity, and cancer. Some studies even suggest that people who prioritize self-care may live up to two years longer than those who don’t
How to Take care of Yourself
Self-care is not just for the rich and famous. Anyone can take care of themselves, no matter how busy they are. Here are four tips to help you take care of yourself:
1. Make time for yourself. Whether you schedule in blocks of time each day or just take a few minutes every night to relax and reflect, making time for yourself is key to taking care of yourself.
2. Get enough sleep. When you’re well-rested, your body and mind are able to function at their best. Sleep deprivation has been linked with depression, anxiety, and even weight gain. Try to get at least seven hours of sleep each night.
3. Eat healthy foods and snacks. Our diet has a huge impact on our health, including our mental health. Make sure that the foods you eat provide the nutrients your body needs and avoid processed foods that contain high levels of sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats. Try to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and proteins in your diet.
4. Exercise regularly. Physical activity helps reduce stress levels and improve overall health outcomes such as obesity prevention, heart health, joint pain relief, cognitive function improvement, improved mood, decreased anxiety levels, improved sleep quality, and lower risk for chronic diseases like diabetes or cancer. Most Americans get less than the minimum amount of exercise recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Spend 30 minutes per day doing something active!
Tips for Taking Care of Yourself
Make time for yourself: Dedicate at least one hour each day to yourself to do something that makes you happy. This could be taking a walk, reading a book, painting your nails, listening to music, or spending time with friends.
Take care of your body: Eat a balanced diet, get enough exercise, and avoid using drugs and alcohol excessively.
Relax: Take some time every day to relax your body and mind by practicing yoga or meditation.
Connect with others: Volunteer for a cause you believe in, socialize with friends and family members regularly or attend group events that interest you.
Set healthy boundaries: Respect your own needs and limits while also honoring the needs of those around you. Seek professional help when needed: If you experience persistent stress or anxiety, consider seeking professional help.
Be compassionate to yourself: Remember that there are days when you may feel like crap but it’s okay! Give yourself permission to have bad days as part of the human experience.
Taking care of yourself doesn’t have to be time-consuming or difficult if approached in the right way. By following these simple tips, you can ensure that you’re taking care of yourself both physically and emotionally.
Sometimes, we don’t have enough time for ourselves. We feel like we’re always running from one obligation to the next, and it’s hard to find the time to take care of ourselves. But taking care of yourself is really important — not only because it makes you happier, but also because taking good care of your body will help you take better care of other people.